Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner and neighbour is 84, I am 53. We don't live

Customer Question

Hi , my partner and neighbour is 84, I am 53. We don't live together, he wants me to be with him all the time. He has dementia but his doctor has deemed him that he has the capacity to understand what he is doing. He has made a will leaving house to me and monies between me and his friend. He wants me to move in with him, I don't own my house. If he were to die, would I have to move out until the will was settled ? He wants to look after me financially, but the 7 year thing is making it difficult. He wants to marry me but thrown away his decree absolute that we have applied to London for a copy. Is it best to wait and marry or push forward as he wants me to give up my job, which I daren't do at the moment
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
If you move in with him and he were to die and you were not married, the property will be dealt with as his estate in accordance with his will. If it remains that the property is in his will to go to you, you would not need to move out and probate can be dealt with whilst you are living there. If there is a contest to his will, you will be entitled to continue to live there if you had previously been occupying it with him as cohabitees.
Has a financial settlement been reached with his ex-wife or has she remarried?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.