12826847

My doctor has been prescribing me diazapam years and

My doctor has been prescribing me diazapam for 16 years and upped it over those years so fo the last 9 years I have been on 20mg. It was for anxixety and agraphobia, it has kept it managable and I have never had any adverse affects. 7 years ago I suffered a brain tumour and had mafor surgery which has left me with problems and also now have severe osteoarthritis in my spine and my doctor is badgering me now to start coming off which I do not want to as there is no way I would be able to mentally or physically deal with withdrawals especially with the problems I suffer with my brain now and have stressed this. I tried twice before and became completely suicidle with terrible pains and brain shocks before the op so how could they suggest this, what are my human rights regarding this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In relation to what?
Which human right do you think may apply?
I'm not sure what you want to achieve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they make me come off this drug if I do not want to as the affects of coming off will be very detrimental to my mental health of which I already have been recognised as have and am registered disabled now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They can stop prescribing it.
They can't make you take it or any other alternative unless you are held on section which you are not. That would give rise to human rights issues.
You do not have a human right to a particular drug though.
You can get a second opinion from another doctor though. You don't have a human right to that either but you do have that option.
If the diagnosis is a negligent one then you would have a claim although not under the HRA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it seems completely wrong that this has been given to me for so long on an ongoing prescription with only a handful of reviews in those years and I know its because a sanction has come in for this drug so its to do with them covering themselves, not about patient
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it may be but it isn't a human rights issue.
In fairness, sanctions are usually introduced to protect patients.