12826847

I am extremely worried and concerned regarding mine and

Customer Question

Hello I am extremely worried and concerned regarding mine and my eldery father who is 80 yrs of age and our situation which is currently presenting itself.
My father had to attend a meeting with a Compliance Officer at the local JWP on 19/01/2015. We went in (I am his full time carer) and there was a "match" on the system as stated by the CO. WE had no formal representation with us. Do you need formal representation at this stage or someone to support us such as an advocate or even a solicitor? This fact has been playing on my mind as often you don't know what representaion could be made on our behalf or we were not made aware to get it in place for us at this stage. This was not explained either fully what a match was or it's implication to my father. What does a match mean? As it transpires they had this match from Abbey Life and asked us to shed any light! The woman was very polite but probing and I felt under scrunity. Dad was unsure what it actually related to and apparently one payment was made last Jan 2015 of around the £372.00 amount and another one was paid in on 20/01/2016 from Abbey Life into his everyday account of the same amount but different policiy numbers. He feel it was either an Insurance policy - he feels that he took it out many years ago whilst he was working in contract engineering. It appears it could also be an annunity payment of some sorts either paid annually or three monthly. He has written off to Abbey Life today requesting this information and sending in proof of ID (DL) and also a bank statement from the last three months to them and I have posted this today. She also requested 6 months banks statements of which I gave her during the interview and more information such as a tennancy aggreement. I only took the terms and conditions by mistake but have now got a copy from my Landlord of the original Tennancy agreement for the HA flat that we live in and also proof of money that is due to the liquadated assetts from his private house sale which we are in the process of putting into a Trust Deed as advised from the Bank to do so. We had a long haul last year to find a solicitor to do this and naturally pay a fee for seeing her three times and a fee for the Trust Deed. She also requested on the day that she wants to see copies of bank accounts relating to the money that was in the bank account until it was put in a Trust Deed. We explained our reasons to move approx 5 yrs ago and the traumatic events which prompted the move and also that we have had to lay out a considerable amount of money to sort the disrepair of the flat out, storage of my parents belongings and using some of this to live on due to the high cost of living. We have had no money forthcoming from our Landlord Peabody we have asked in a meeting in 2011 approx and also a bed bug infestation in 2012 of which we lost good quality textiles, clothing and personal posesssions due to throwing them out due to infestation of them. We were open and transparent and were willing to look into this matter also as it concerned us. I have left messages on her phone number and she states that she hasn't received them. The CO - Compliance Officer phoned on Tuesday and I told her that we were dealing with the matter asap and had to write in formally to Abbey Life. She told me also on 25/01/2016 that she wants more information from Abbey Life and has sent a DWP letter from her department for Dad to sign. She also said she want 5 years bank statements of which I said no during the telephone call as I gave her what she wanted on the 19/01/2016 of 6 months of them for the current account
I also have a problem when I have been sorting the paperwork out this week that my name is ***** ***** bank account where the residue money was in last year as we were going to buy in to a shared ownership property and it fell through and we then took advice on what to do with it hence the Trust Deed. I am in receipt of benefits as I am my fathers main carer - his only daughter. Both of us have what is 3rd party regulation from the Bank to act and also I had to do this last year as he was in hospital and the property purchase sadly fell through. It is meant to go towards the purchase of a private property in the future of which she said the Government would agree to that. I have made an application for Power of Attorney in Feb 2014 although the papers had not been signed by us last year of which we were unaware of, I went mad as though that when the solicitors cheque payment fee came out of the bank account that it was in place. We aslo wanted one for my father of which a fee has come out late last year 2015 but upon telephoning the said solictor in January 2016 he is still registering it with OPG-this was 2 weeks ago and I told him that I had been acting for my father with regards ***** ***** finances- more so when he is in hospital! and I thought it was in place.
Both of us want to coperate fully at all time with the DWP and depts.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello thanks for your reply I am okay to wait for a reply. I do appreciate that this question of mine got rather detailed! To date my father has written to Abbey Life requesting information himself which he will forward to the CO at the DWP once he has heard back from them. The main query was what a CO etc was and what details does he or myself have to send in to the dept and what representation is available. My fathers Pension Credit has been stopped due to the fact that he is living with me now, it will run on until February 2016 and if his circumstances change I believe that he can reapply again. Once he has heard from Abbey Life he will forward this information on to the CO. I feel it may be a case of a change of address query as stated we moved from our old address approx 5 yrs ago.
I look forward to hearing from you in response to this query.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello I have just sent a reply.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello I have received a message in my email account and when I click on the reply it does not allow me to get in to the site. I am concerned as I cannot access a reply of today 's date. Could you resend the message again.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
I am very sorry for the delay. I think it is being caused because your text above is too long to be downloaded on my ipad.
If you could summarise it I will try to help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problem I look forward to you call in the near future.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi it is relating as stated above about a query that has recently been raised with a Compliance Officer at the DWP on 19/01/2016.
I want to know what this matter is all about eg. What is a compliance officer? What do we by law have to give to the CO. We have cooperated fully so far but my fathers AA or Atendance Allowance was stopped the next day and will run on until February 2016.
She or the CO now requires extra info from my father of which he is in the process of getting it for the CO having written a latter himself to Abbey Life of which there was a "match" on the system which raised this issue in the first place. Moreover what is a match? Do you require to have legal assistance with you at the interview and also after as we went in on our own and it was a rather rigorous and challenging interview of which nothing was clearly explained to us about the Query with Abbey Lif other than the DWP had received this match on their system. At all times we were compliant and answered her questions raised put to us with the CO and explained our circumstances eg the move to our current flat and the unfortunate disrepair of it which we have had no funds from the Landlord to do them and other associated problem including bedbugs! where we lost a lot of personal belongings and textiles due to the infestation. My father moved in with me in June 2010 after I took up the tenancy in April 2010. He is now 80 years with serious health conditions and limited mobility due to fracturing his left femur in 2012.
I hope that this is a brief synopsis of the Query for you.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
A compliance officer is a name given by the DWP to those who investigate benefit fraud.
You don't actually have to give them anything at all but if you don't comply they will just close the claim down and instruct the police who do have more powers.
You could refuse to provide anything at all but it isn't a good idea unless, of course, what you do provide will not exculpate him.