Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I signed a 12 month AST with my tenant in November 2014. This

Customer Question

I signed a 12 month AST with my tenant in November 2014. This contract was for a fixed term of 6 months with the appropriate break clause on either side after 6 months. In June 2015, I felt the rent was well below the market conditions. Market rent was 1350 and he was paying 1200. I served him with a section 21 notice to vacate. This was at the end of the fixed term of 6 months. My intention was to ask him to leave.However he refused to vacate and agreed to sign a new 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause on a rent of 1325. After signing he did not complain to a rent tribunal or seek any action against me. Now in 2016 he is writing to me and saying what I did was illegal. Is this true?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
No, this is not illegal. The original tenancy had expired and you served notice to quit. He agreed to sign a new tenancy with an increase to the rent - not necessarily an unreasonable increase to the rent given that it is now in accordance with market rates, and he had the option to vacate. However, he has entered in to the new tenancy agreement voluntarily.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.