Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My daughter has booked a holiday in Barbados with a Wedding

My daughter has booked a holiday in Barbados with a Wedding Planning company, who have booked it with a travel company specialising in the Caribbean and the Americas called Funway Travel and this company have booked the vacation with Sandals Barbados and the flights with Virgin.
She is 3 months pregnant and due to Zika Virus obviously cannot go without risk to the baby. They paid £1,000 cash (debit card) and the remaining balance of £4,100 on a Halifax credit card. Unfortunately they did not take out any cancellation insurance.
Funway are being extremely difficult in the cirumstances. They are offering a refund of £1,950 or a holiday in Tenerife with no compensation for the difference in value or deferment until next year, which my daughter requested, but they have to commit to a date now and there is no flexibility, and were told any additional costs as a result of deferment will have to be met by my daughter and her fiancé. She has a certificate from her GP stating she cannot go to Barbados or any other region affected by this virus due to pregnancy risk. How can you help us? Ideally they would prefer a full refund.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. There is unfortunately no legal obligation on the travel company to refund your daughter in these circumstances. It is very unfortunate that no insurance was taken out as if it had been it would have been a straightforward claim with the doctors letter. The purpose of insurance is to cover situations like this. All she can do therefore is to plead to the goodwill of the travel agent to be more accommodating to the unfortunate situation she now finds herself in. She can tell them that other agencies are being more flexible in the circumstances. However if they refuse there will be little she can do. I do suggest however that she checks the terms of the cancellation of the holiday she booked as there may be something in the terms to assist her depending on how long it is until she was due to travel. I am really sorry there is nothing further she can do but it would be wrong for me to give you false hope. Please do let me know if you require any further information?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jerry is there anything further you would like to know about this, as I can see that you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?