29905560

I entered into an agreement to have a website designed for

i entered into an agreement to have a website designed for my business, we agreed cost, that cost included a years web hosting fee of 150.00, then 150.00 every year after that, during the design the designer emailed me and told me to forget his hosting using his hosting as he would go with the one i already had for the first year, the website was to be 400.00 for a 3 page site, as its a professional site he recommended peer opinion which i did which meant neumerous design changes, he complained of design by committee, i agreed some of the design but altered a lot as it was becoming to animated, he agreed the site was looking better with the alterations. the site went from 3 pages to 4, i had to stop him putting a testamonial page on, when i asked about increased costs i got quiet a shock the 400.00 had become 585.00 due design changes etc, i said i did not agree with his breakdown of costs and his remarks "the list goes on",and it was becoming difficult to work with him, he immediately stopped work and pulled website, it wasn't finished, now he is seeking full payment and i dont even have anything, i went to an alternative web designer and now have a professional site at a cost of 275.00 inclusive of hosting with a yearly hosting of 35.00. He did admit to rellishing the challenge of creating my website, all the above is email documented
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has he taken the matter to court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has threatened me with the supply of goods act 1982 but i see this was altered in october 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did a skype meeting and agreed costs at which point i said i did not mind paying for work done but he thanked me and said he would refuse the offer as he wanted me to be satisfied with the website, again on email
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Well it was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act but the legislation remains more or less the same. In any event I do not know why he has mentioned that because that law is there to provide protection for consumers if they have not received the services they have ordered, so if anything it would be you relying on it, not him. So what you could try and argue here is that the product you initially ordered was not as described and not what you had initially agreed on, with the changes not having been pre-agreed in terms of price. Also you do not have a website – he has not provided you with anything and as such paying for nothing is not acceptable. At this stage, the ball is in his court really – he has asked you for payment but you have refused. You cannot be forced to pay. If he wants to he can take this to the small claims court – he may not though as he may be out off by the process. Even if he did claim, the risks are rather low. In the event you lose you would only be required to pay for the amount the court orders, you would not be responsible for his legal fees if he incurred any. So at worst you would have to pay what he has claimed, although in the circumstances that is unlikely to happen. So you could just refuse to pay and see how far he takes it, evaluating your position as time goes by. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'