12826847

Police keep stopping my car because I have stickers that say

Police keep stopping my car because I have stickers that say Dog Unit. If I am working I wer hi viz yellow jacket and black shirt and trousers and the say I am impersonating a police officer. Am I breaking a law?
Also my insurance covers me to go to and from place of employment but the police said I am uninsured if I am taking my dog training in my leisure time because that's work.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is the specific ground for saying he impersonates a police officer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because he is tall wears black trousers, sometimes combat trousers, black polo shirt which said security on it but over this he had on a yellow hi viz jacket which I suppose are like police wear but so do builders and others. On his silver Ford Focus estate he has a sticker, or one each side at the rear, that says "dog Unit" because he is a security guard and at time he works with his Rottweiler so per antsy keeps his cage and things in the car. Stopped twice this week. Once they said a member of the public had informed them, and tonight they were driving pass in the opposite direction and obviously turned around a sap and caught him up and stopped him because the stickers on the car makes it look as though it could be a police vehicle. He was only wearing jeans but said he was going to train his dog so now they say the insurance don't cover that because it's to and from a place of work. He was only going to walk him because he only does security training in uniform, but they say that is work.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to tell in this forum.Certainly, it is an offence to impersonate a police officer. The truth is that none of these things individually would be enough to show he is impersonating a police officer but taken together it may be. You do see vehicles with police colours emblazoned across them which individually would not be enough but if you combine it with black trousers and a yellow viz then it might be enough.No insurance is another point entirely. If he only has social and domestic then that would not cover travelling to work. If he was displaying a sign that said dog unit and he told them he was going to train his dog then they will be saying he was travelling to work. On the face of it, there does seem to be argument on this basis I'm afraid. he seems to accept using a dog at work and travelling to train him?There might be a better challenge to obstructing a police officer.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, a little confused. Car is a normal silver estate, just have the words dog unit on it. No other colours. Clothes are normal, but I accept what you say about collectively.
He has insurance for commuting to and from a work building.
He was training his dogs just as walking this time because he did not have his uniform on, therefore the dog is just a pet. He did not go on with this after he was stopped but brought him home so no training was dome. They just stop and usually search, once with armed response, but have never found anything. He does not even drink or smoke. He is autistic though and if the speak to him with attitude his response would be the same, because of that condition.
What do you mean obstructing a police officer. He has never done that.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If there are no colours on it then the sign 'Dog Unit' alone wouldn't be enough.
If this is a work dog then it can't be a pet?
Where was the dog kept?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it could be. Police officers take their dogs home with them to live with the family? Used to get paid for it as well. The dog is at him mothers house with other pet dogs. He is only working at times, when Jake is in his uniform and then they work and live away. But not often. Not at least for nine months.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If he is going to walk a pet then he isn't travelling to work.
It depends whether they accept that though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice.