Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

A small charity raised funds through grants new mobile

A small charity raised funds through grants for a new mobile skatepark, £30.000. They ordered the mobile skatepark and were quoted a 6 week delivery date (September 2014) They paid £10,000 deposit. Delivery of the equipment eventually took place eight months later (1 July 2015) after many phone calls, and after the charity had threatened to cancel the order.
The manufacturers were apologetic and offered £1,250 compensation. But the equipment was unfinished and incomplete in many ways. A list of Health and Safety risks was sent to the manufacturers by the charity. They picked up the equipment again (October 2015) and addressed the majority of the unsafe issues and returned the equipment once more to the charity. One issue however remained unaddressed and remains a Health and Safety risk.
The compensation sum has also not been forthcoming.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to now about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know how we can get the manufacturers to complete our order. The detail outstanding refers to a heavy piece of equipment which is stored in an awkward place. On the manufacturers' own description are the words "just wheels out" with a picture of the wheels. Wheels have not been provided on our equipment and it is a Health and Safety risk to our team every time they move this large heavy box
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Have you threatened legal action against them yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. We are a Christian organisation and to our surprise it turned out, when they delivered that they had a Christian logo on their T-shirts. They have not behaved in a Christian manner, but so far there have just been emails. We do not have anything like a legal team, so it would mean going to a firm of solicitors and beginning formal proceedings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I threaten legal action in the first place?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
hi yes it would be appropriate now to say that if they do not put matters right you will take legal action. You can either send a letter saying this yourself or enlist the assistance of a law firm to do this. You need a letter before action giving them 14 days to come up with a solution to resolve the health and safety issue and to pay the promised compensation. You should say that if they do not come up with a suitable solution you will be left with no alternative but to take legal action in the county court to recover your losses and to pay for the equipment to be put safe. If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'll follow your suggestion.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
All the best with it and thanks for your rating.