Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Intestacy problem are you able to advise? The estate is

intestacy problem are you able to advise?
The estate is being divided between cousins of the deceased. My wife's father was also a cousin (his brother and sister are 2 of the people getting a share of the estate) but he is dead (before the deceased). Should my wife and her brother qualify for his share?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. So long as the deceased died in England & Wales, then the rule is that the share of a deceased person is inherited by their successors. This means that your wife's father's share would be inherited by your wife and her brother and any other sibling there might be in their family. The confusion which arises here might be due to the fact that the rule is different in different parts of the UK and Ireland. However, your research online is correct and your wife would qualify in the right of her father along with her brother.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer, Richard, as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert does not get paid for answering your Question.