29905560

I have resigned as a Director from a company. Am I liable for

I have resigned as a Director from a company. Am I liable for any potential future legal action taken against the company
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you worried abut anything in particular?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I resigned my directorship yesterday and have found out today that one of our employees has resigned today and the owner of the business is disputing his employment contract and claiming that he isn't entitled to 2 months notice period. This individual will take this to a tribunal as he is totally in the right. i am worried about what impact that will have on me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also a shareholder in the business and the owner has terminated my email and the email of the employee who has resigned ( and gave 2 months notice, with a commitment to work)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Were you a registered director at companies house and I presume this was a limited company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am, I have asked the accountant to send the notification to Companies house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is a limited company. At this stage the owner is being given the opportunity of resolving this so no action has been taken as yet
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
As a director of a limited company your liability is already limited. The company itself will be its own legal entity and responsible for its own debts. So I the employee goes to tribunal and wins it is the company and its assets which will be responsible, not the directors personally. As a director you may only have some personal lability if you had discriminated against an employee, for example treated them detrimentally due to a protected characteristic, such as race, gender, disability etc. However, this is not the case here so you would not have any personal liability, even if the employee goes to tribunal and wins. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you