75100385

I help run a Swimming club, we hire a pool from the local council

I help run a Swimming club, we hire a pool from the local council 2 nights a week. All our staff are qualified swimming teachers and lifeguards. Can the council dictated at what level
swimmers have before they can join our club we have been teaching for almost 50 years from non swimmers to international level.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Does the Council have a policy on such matters?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Pool Hire are an of shoot of the council who now run the pool as a business not under council funding at the moment. The restriction they are imposing on is that we can no longer admit swimmers under level as they want them all and we are taking business from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I missed the Level should be level 5
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ah. In that case they can't impose this UNLESS it is a term of your contract. So the answer is no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a new contract they have imposed on us with the decision is final this and the increase in pool hire charges they are demanding will close us down.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You should complain to the Chief Officer of the Council and complain. If they do not resolve it you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at: www.lgo.org.uk
Finally you can consider a Judicial Review where a High Court sees whether they have acted legally and reasonably. They can't abuse their position which is what they seem to be doing.