12826847

A friend of mine has been charged with assault and threatening

Customer Question

A friend of mine has been charged with assault and threatening behaviour. I would like some advice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend has been charged with Assault by beating (contrary to section 39 of the CJA) and threatening/abusive/insulting behaviour (contrary to section 4(1) and (4) of the POA). He has never been in trouble with the police before. He is is university educated and 56 years old.Basically he got into a slanging match with a group of lads near his house after they were riding bikes on the road and ran in front of him for a laugh to make him brake.The lad who is accusing him of threatening behaviour and assault is only 12 although he looks much older. He not only says he was threatened but that my friend put his hands round his neck. My friend denies this.The police took my friend to the station and he made a statement without a solicitor thinking it was just a stupid slanging match. But of course he is threatening a minor so much more serious than he thought.At the moment he is thinking pleading guilty to both charges although he did not assault the youth. I'm not sure he is thinking straight - he is not sleeping and is highly stressed.What are his options?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if he should plead guilty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering what his options and chances are if he pleads guilty or not guilty so I can talk to him rationally on Wednesday when I see him
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to ask a more specific question?
I am not sure what you mean by what are his options?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JoI wasn't sure what to do here about rating you. I moved off our email chat quickly and spoke directly to a different person. As you didn't deal with my query I don't have a view on you but was very happy with the response from Ali.So what do I do?Regards
Steve
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
No need to do anything at all.