Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I signed up to a website in 2012 that provided online

I signed up to a website in 2012 that provided online training and marketing advice for a one of payment cost of £2500. Part of the deal was free updates for life and no one else in the town I work in would be sold the training. The marketing is for driving schools.
The company now say they have stopped trading and have started a new training site with more or less the same information and are now asking for a yearly fee. All they have done is changed the domain name and website layout.
They are using the same company name and company number.
The question is can they do this? Can I say I was miss sold the product and ask for refund or ask to continue using the new site at no extra cost?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Matt my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Was the one off payment expressed to be for a period of time or subject to any time limit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, it was for lifetime membership
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you have a written contract with them and is the term lifetime membership described anywhere in the contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no signed contract but could find information in web archives saying this,this is something they have posted that says about life timeOur founder members have enjoyed in most cases almost three years of membership for the initial investment. Had we walked away at this stage, we believe we would have fulfilled our membership obligations in offering life membership of the ADI Blueprint product.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok are the same limited company now running the new website as ran the first one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case the situation is slightly easier. You should send the company a letter before action stating that contractually they 'The company' are obliged to provide you with lifetime marketing under the terms of the contract you entered into with them in 2012. You should state that the fact that they have changed the nature of their website does not detract from that contractual obligation and either you want them to continue to offer you the benefit with the new site or a refund of the monies you have paid (less the value of the 3 years use you have had). You should say they have 7 days to respond or you have to consider your legal options which may include bringing a claim in the county court in breach of contract. Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the company name and number is ***** the bottom of both sites
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I have just sent an answer which I think crossed with this, can you see it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help and advice
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanks for the rating and good luck!