Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm applying as a British citizen. I'm originally Polish and

Customer Question

I'm applying for naturalisation as a British citizen. I'm originally Polish and I've been living in the UK for past 10 years. I registered under WRS in November 2010 but in May 2011 I changed employer. As the WRS was abolished in April/May 2011 I assumed I didn't need to re-register with the details of the new employer. Was I right to think that.
Also I sent my application for naturalisation on the 11 of November 2015 as a person from UKBA is spoke to in the phone advised me after this date I'll have to hold a resident card for further 12 months prior to being able to apply for naturalisation.
My question is if I started working under WRS in November 2010 if there any chance my application would be rejected?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Marta, there are two different things at issue here and you should keep them separate in your own mind. The first thing to be aware of is that when the Worker Registration Scheme was abolished in 2011, you didn't need to re-register with any other employment body. However, you should have applied for a Permanent Residence card at this date. This would have been for five years and it would have confirmed your right to live and work in the UK. Secondly, the reason the UK Border Agency person stated that you will have to hold a residence card for a further 12 months before getting UK citizenship is that you need to be able to show that you could reside in the UK for 12 months without any time limitation on your right to live and work in the UK. A residence card gives you this right to live and work in the UK. As you haven't already got a residence card you cannot prove you could live without any limitation as to time in the UK for 12 months. So this is the reason you must apply for the Permanent Residence card so you can then apply for UK citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Here is a link to the application form for Permanent Residence card https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr. You should fill in it and get the Permanent Residence card with a view to applying for citizenship 12 months later.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.