How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

How much in savings do I need in order to bring in my

Resolved Question:

How much in savings do I need in order to bring in my daughter of 1 year and six months.. I have indefinate leave to remain and am about to apply for my wife to join me. My salary is 21000 and is only enough to bring in my wife. Once she is here we need to know how much is required in our savings to bring in our daughter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Victor, can you better explain the situation. What passport do you hold? What passport does your wife you child 18 month old child hold? Do you intend to apply for UK citizenship? Do you have the ability to get a part time job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Buachaill,We all hold zimbabwean passports, I have lived in Britain for almost 9 years now on an indefinate leave to remain. My current job is full time Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. I could get a part time job, I have done so before. However trying to combat the expenses of having a wife and kid abroad whilst also trying to save money this end has been an uphill struggle.
.. so I decided that perhaps it's best to bring my wife in and we work together to raise enough money to eventually apply for our daughter. However the questions we have are .... 1) how much will be be expected to raise exactly 2) does the six months in savings apply to our baby daughter also at the time of going to apply for her.Am open to your suggestions and advice.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Victor, the first thing is that you can apply for a visa for your wife to come and join you in the UK on the basis she is part of your family as a "settled person" in the UK, as you have indefinite leave to remain. The income limit for this is £18,600. However, I would advise you to get yourself a part time job so as to bring your annual income up above £22,400 as this is the income threshold for bringing a wife and one child to join with you in the UK. Take a part time job in a shop or a pub and be sure you are on the books and pay tax and national insurance so you can show these to the UK Border Agency. This will enable you to bring both your wife and your child to join you in the UK. Here is a link to the relevant part of the UK Government website.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. The second thing I would suggest to you is that you should consider applying for UK citizenship, as after being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain you only need live another 12 months in the UK to be able to apply for UK citizenship. This will greatly simplify your life and avoid the need to apply for visas in future. You will also be able to apply for UK citizenship for your wife and child after they have lived in the UK for 3 & 5 years respectively. Be aware that the wife of a UK citizen only has to be three years resident in the uK TO APPLY for citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please Rate the Answer, Victor, as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions