12826847

I have a previous fraud charges I was

Customer Question

Hi I have a previous fraud charges for which I was sentenced. Can they be disclosed in the Sexual Offences case?Gary
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As bad character can the crown use the fraud and drug conviction in the sexual assult case
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, they could apply.
It depends whether it gets over the hurdle.
On the face of it, there would not seem to be a relevance. It certainly doesn't show a propensity to commit the type of offence in question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you in regards ***** ***** sexual offences there are 3 complaints who are brothers does it harder for my QC to defend and it's all historical
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends. Every case turns on it's facts.
On the face of it, more complainants corroborate each other.
However, the reality is that the larger the number of witnesses the more scope there is for inconsistency and contradiction. Also, brothers will have had the opportunity to confer so they are vulnerable to the allegation of collusion between them.
If witnesses are lying and can't lie particularly well then it really doesn't matter if there are a large number of them. It is just more bad evidence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having read the above you are making more sense .....it's just I have allready chosen a solicitor and QC as you are aware.....anyway I went to see this other firm of solicitor and kept putting doubt in my case and insisting that I should choose a particular QC a friend of his however having checked his profile he had no experiance in sexual offences. I just informed him I'm going via legal aid route.
Then he said your chances are limited as there are 3 complaints and the jury tend to believe the complaints usually and you have a very tough road ahead and best to go private. Also when I looked at his profile on Google he does debts disputes and litigation so hardly an area for rape
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Profiles on websites dont necessarily mean people don't have experience but it is best to choose a criminal practitioner.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are looking for a criminal silk you can always try here
https://drystone.com/barristers/angela_rafferty_qc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the lawyer I saw was a qualified lawyer in litigation and debt disputes he may have some experiance but hardly .... Thank you for the link
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Civil practitioners are not the best to defend rapes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have chosen a criminal solicitor and they are ranked as tier one and do criminal work.... This civil practitioner was scaring me and yes I agree he may have some experiance of criminal law but not that much of experiance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, you would need a criminal specialist for serious sexual offences.
You choose the QC. The firm can recommend but no more than that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went the other way round I choose a specialist QC in serious sexual offences then I asked him which solicitor he works with best and he said one particular person in a criminal firm
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
So why hasn't it gone back to that silk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've gone to that silk specialist in rape and child offences and asked them which solicitor can they work with best
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, so why have they instructed a different silk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I never instructed a different silk but I just went to see a litigation lawyer and he was adamant I appoint this other silk a friend of his
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
there is no point in a solicitor that does not do crime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know the silk that litigation lawyer told me to appint has the following experiance
Simon practices in public and private law children cases, fraud, serious crime and regulatory work. Simon has carved an excellent reputation for client rapport, determined advocacy and a detailed and accurate presentation of his client’s case.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Just find a sexual offence specialist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK the lawyer that I have gone for is a specialises In General criminal law. He also specialises in fraud and expert lawyer in crime and I am hoping as the silk who is a specialist in serious sex offences especially in children has rated this solicitor very highly so I am just going on that basis. Maybe I should have chosen a specialist in this field and ask for a QC. But I went the other way round and asked the specialist silk and asked her for someone she has worked with ....... Hope it makes sense
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know any specialist lawyers in the north of England like Manchester Leeds Sheffield
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am not at the Manchester bar but london counsel will travel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is better to have a specialist council in these offences or solicitor in these offences?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You do need both.It is not the type of case that can be done by a barrister under public access.The counsel I suggested above is very experienced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's fine getting that silk in but I take it a criminal solicitor prepares the paper work
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, solicitors litigate and barristers advocate.
Not every case needs a litigator but every case needs an advocate.