75100385

My question is in relation to the sale of shares in our business.

My question is in relation to the sale of shares in our business. My husband and I own 50 ordinary shares each. In sept 2015 we accepted an offer from someone wanting to buy the business. A letter of intent was signed and the sale of shares should have completed in that same month. This didn't happened, I received a 30k deposit payment into my personal bank account in sept 15 and the outstanding balance still stands at £120k. It appears as though this deal may not complete. The buyer has had full access to our business, the day to day running and accounts. He has now decided he's not sure about the deal. Can you please advise where I stand legally with the 30k deposit he paid. We have opened up our company to him and he is a competitor in our industry. Many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Luci my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did the letter of intent say the deal was subject to a further contract? Did it say whether the deposit was refundable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no, it was quite a basic letter of Intent- the share purchase agreement states it's non refundable but the buyers have not as yet signed this.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does this letter go on to make reference to the purchase agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just re read the LOI and its states that the deal should complete within 2 weeks which equated to the end if September. We have waited for his funding to come through, albeit originally he told us he had readily available funds and we accepted this offer - knocked down from (225k) on the premise that it would be a quick sale.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think on that basis you could retain the deposit. Technically you could sue for breach of contract but based on the letter which says about completion by September and its February I think there is a decent argument for keeping it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a general question on this if it went to court does it tend to be a long process?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Around 6 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help with this matter.
Kind regardsLuci
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck Luci
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/