Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner and I are separating on good terms and need to divide up some property. Bot

Customer Question

Hi. My partner and I are separating on good terms and need to divide up some property. Both properties are in my name as this was easier and cheaper for mortgages. We both lived in property 2 from April 2009 to January 2016 and this will stay in my name and I will continue to pay the mortgage. I have now moved out temporarily and I'm renting a place.
property 1 is what I want to sign over to my partner. Again, it is in my name and is effectively paid off with only £1 remaining to pay to my provider. Where do I start with this transaction?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Are you married to your partner?
If you wish to sign over property to your partner it will be a change of ownership and you will need to follow these steps: https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we are not married. We've been together fir approx 15 years.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming, I was enquiring as being married may have impacted your rights regarding the assets and finances.
In the circumstances you can proceed as stated above, namely https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property
It maybe worthwhile considering instructing a solicitor to deal with the transfer which will cost a few hundred pounds and ensure it is all done correctly.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.