LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have just found out that my dad gets council tax support

I have just found out that my dad gets council tax support because he has just received a letter from our council asking for bank details going back to 2012. He said that he didn't know that he got it and I believe him because he throws all his letters on the fire. Since his wife died 4 years ago he hasn't really coped. He is 74 by the way and has never had to deal with paying bills or sorting things out. I am his daughter and also his carer because he cant walk anymore. I told him that this is really serious but he just said that he would pay what he owed. He has the money to pay it and always has. If I go to the council and tell them will they automatically take him to court or will they just let him pay it. This hasn't been done purposely he just didn't know. I want to sort it out but daren't tell them in case it still goes to court. It would kill him.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Have you seen the letter that was sent by the local authority to your father about this?
If we are talking about 3 years council tax benefit then the amount is likely to be in the range £3,000-6,000. A prosecution would be unlikely at this level and in the circumstances you describe. It would clearly not be in the public interest to prosecute. It is also odd that he has continued to get this benefit without filing in forms for the last few years, perhaps this is a council error and he is the unwitting beneficiary of an error by the council.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have seen the letter. they want evidence of bank details and all income and investments going back to 2012 but my dad has always had money invested. He doesn't know why he has got council tax support. If I go to the council and say that he is willing to pay all he owes will they still go through the courts.