How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

2009 my wife tragically lost her brave 2 year

Customer Question

Hi ***** 2009 my wife tragically lost her brave 2 year fight against breast cancer at age 41. Since 2007, when she had first been diagnosed with the disease, my focus had mainly been on her health and on looking after our son who was 3 years old at the time. While struggling through this very difficult time I fell behind on financial commitments including the maintenance of 3 investment properties (which had previously been managed as a joint business venture with my late wife and have since all been sold for no material capital gain) and began to accumulate significant financial debts, with additional expenses relating to medical treatment for my wife that had not been covered by insurance, and the costs of providing child care for my son. My Mother (now 90) kindly helped me out with financial assistance, including allowing me to use her credit card for a while to make some online purchases. My older brother, who has always been very jealous of me over the years, found out about this and is now accusing me of stealing from my Mother, (which is simply not true because the card was given to me with her full permission). He has told other members of my family about this and turned them against me and has continuously put a great deal of pressure on both my Mum and I. I have 2 questions : (1) can I protect myself legally with a letter signed by my Mother which states that she gave me financial assistance willingly and with full permission ? (2) I think my brother may be guilty of coercive and controlling behaviour under the new serious crime act (2015) because he has continuously and repeatedly intimidated my Mother for exercising her right to support me and frequently makes her cry, telling her how she should be spending her money, trying to control her life. He puts pressure on her and does not let her speak or have an opinion of her own. He shouts, screams and swears down the phone at her and then leaves her in tears for days. It is now having a serious impact on her daily life and she cannot sleep most nights. I am sure he must be violating just about every one of her basic human rights but I don't know how to catch him at it, or to build up evidence against him. Should I tell him about the act or just file an anonymous report against him for domestic abuse ? I need to do something for my Mother's sake because it is slowly killing her, but equally I don't want to do something that would make it worse for her. My brother is a very aggressive person who is likely to react. What are my options ? Is he guilty of domestic abuse under the new act ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ok to waitthanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK please close this question and return my good faith deposit to my bank accountthanks and regards
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you still need an answer?

Related Law Questions