12826847

2009 my wife tragically lost her brave 2 year

Customer Question

Hi ***** 2009 my wife tragically lost her brave 2 year fight against breast cancer at age 41. Since 2007, when she had first been diagnosed with the disease, my focus had mainly been on her health and on looking after our son who was 3 years old at the time. While struggling through this very difficult time I fell behind on financial commitments including the maintenance of 3 investment properties (which had previously been managed as a joint business venture with my late wife and have since all been sold for no material capital gain) and began to accumulate significant financial debts, with additional expenses relating to medical treatment for my wife that had not been covered by insurance, and the costs of providing child care for my son. My Mother (now 90) kindly helped me out with financial assistance, including allowing me to use her credit card for a while to make some online purchases. My older brother, who has always been very jealous of me over the years, found out about this and is now accusing me of stealing from my Mother, (which is simply not true because the card was given to me with her full permission). He has told other members of my family about this and turned them against me and has continuously put a great deal of pressure on both my Mum and I. I have 2 questions : (1) can I protect myself legally with a letter signed by my Mother which states that she gave me financial assistance willingly and with full permission ? (2) I think my brother may be guilty of coercive and controlling behaviour under the new serious crime act (2015) because he has continuously and repeatedly intimidated my Mother for exercising her right to support me and frequently makes her cry, telling her how she should be spending her money, trying to control her life. He puts pressure on her and does not let her speak or have an opinion of her own. He shouts, screams and swears down the phone at her and then leaves her in tears for days. It is now having a serious impact on her daily life and she cannot sleep most nights. I am sure he must be violating just about every one of her basic human rights but I don't know how to catch him at it, or to build up evidence against him. Should I tell him about the act or just file an anonymous report against him for domestic abuse ? I need to do something for my Mother's sake because it is slowly killing her, but equally I don't want to do something that would make it worse for her. My brother is a very aggressive person who is likely to react. What are my options ? Is he guilty of domestic abuse under the new act ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am ok to waitthanks
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK please close this question and return my good faith deposit to my bank accountthanks and regards
Martin
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Do you still need an answer?