75100385

I am told by the Office of the Information Commissioner that

Customer Question

I am told by the Office of the Information Commissioner that in order to get a number of untrue and defamatory statements struck from my medical records I shall probably have to bring a case under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Can you help me find a lawyer with expertise in this area; I have drawn a blank locally?
Valerie
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you want to have a lawyer handle everything or do you want to start proceedings yourself please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shall need a lawyer to handle the situation.
(My apologies for delays in responding, but my computer is playing up this morning.)
Valerie
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Which town do you live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in south west sussex.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Which town?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
near Bognor
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Bartholomews (Holdings) Limited - 01243 755 732
Irwin Mitchell LLP - 0370 1500 100
John Wiley & Sons Limited - 01243 770256
Blake Morgan Group LLP -(###) ###-####1122
Duncan Lewis (Solicitors) Limited - 0207(###) ###-####
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I should also have said that, more recently, I have learned of other families still in similar or worse situations than I and mine have experienced. Because of that, I shall also wish to find out whether, should it come to a court case, there is any way this could be used to try to assist others as well.Does that alter anything?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could well be a precedent.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very interesting. Thank you.In light of the above, would you still recommend all the firms you listed ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Irwin Mitchell are probably my first choice.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, until I've investigated further (which I shall), I can't know the answer to this! I hope so, and may I get back to you when I have?But, this is a good start. Thank you.Valerie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning AlexI've now followed up three of your suggestions, sadly without success. Irwin Mitchell told me I would have to lodge a four-figure sum with them first, after which a "team" would study the case and only after that might I get to be face to face with anyone. I'm sorry, but I am not parting with that kind of money to people I have never met, or even spoken with, especially in a case like this. I suspect the other bigger firms suggested will be run similarly.Unfortunately, both John Wiley and Bartholomew (Holdings) are private businesses and the solicitors concerned are their in-house legal people.However, I was talking to someone else about the situation yesterday and was asked if I'd ever thought about contacting a barrister directly. I hadn't, but it sounded a worthwhile idea. I've now tried the Bar Council's direct access portal, but can't get it to respond. I put in: personal, civil, data protection etc, but it repeatedly comes up with: nothing and no-one. A couple of friends have tried on their more up to date devices. Also with nothing. So frustrating!Kind regards
Valerie
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You could seek a Barrister direct. There are a number of Barrister websites available:
www.mybarrister.co.uk
www.clerksroomdirect.com