ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have a family member living in my property she has no

Customer Question

Hi, I have a family member living in my property she has no agreement and pays no rent on the promise she maintained the property. She hasn't maintained it and has now gone into such disrepair we can't afford to fix it so need to sell it before it gets any worse. The family member is now an alcoholic and become verbally abusive and cannot look after herself properly eg using the back garden as a toilet. We have served her one months notice to vacate. What do we do if she disn't vacate?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify - the house is in your sole name, there is no rental agreement at all, the family member has not completed any maintenance to the property, nor paid towards the mortgage or a deposit is this correct?
Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property is in mine and my husbands name, there is no rental agreement, we inherited the house from my father in law and the agreement was she could stay rent free but maintained it. She has allowed a leak to continue for 7 months without saying anything so the kitchen roof has fallen in, it's riddled with nice because of the disgusting way she lives. No deposit has been paid to us she has just paid the council tax and utilities
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
If your relative is not an owner of the property and not a tenant as you have described then you do not technically need to provide any notice.
Therefore providing one months written notice is a reasonable approach.
If the relative has not moved after this date then you can simply replace all the locks on the property so that they cannot re-enter the property.
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for helping you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advise
Your welcome :)
Please kindly remember to rate positively (by clicking a smiley face) so that we receive credit for our work.