75100385

I have received civil penalty notice of 15k illegal

Customer Question

i have received civil penalty notice of 15k for employing illegal worker which i was not aware of. can a solicitor representation help please minimise this to zero? how?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did you ask for a copy of passport or proof to work please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't. . I had a letter from her solicitor
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Its bad news I am afraid. As the employer you need to check the status of any potential employee, the onus is on you. Its strict liability which means they are either entitled to work or they are not.
Sadly you can't get it reduced if it was given according to law and based on the fact you didnt check, is not enough to get it reduced.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx for being honest. yes it was a mistake on my part. i trusted the solicitors letter stating she can work as her case was pending with immigration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way i can appeal, and/or reduce the amount..... i am not a company of professional employer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not a company or professional employer.. i am doing this for my mother, who is disabled in all 4 limbs and needs 24hr care
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. You could appeal and take it to court, but if there was no check an appeal is useless.
I am sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thx. is the an new employee check service i can use, that ensures this such penalties avoided in future. ?/ if so please suggest. i want to check out the remaining existing workers and use for all new workers. many thx
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Just ask for a passport. That is all you need. It will show in there if there is a right to work, Ie EU citizen or visa.