How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70180
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been charged money from

Resolved Question:

For Jomo1972Hi I have been charged for stealing money from a company that I worked for. However that company was a dodgy company that employed several employees who never had NI number or work permit effectively not paying Tax or NI. I told the police this and they completely disregarded this despite showing them the evidence
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
how can i help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well can my barrister use this in mitigation and ask the police to look at my claims as well
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In fact, the Crown would probably object on the basis that it is a derogatory assertion.
There is no mitigation in saying that the company were badly behaved. Some people are appallingly behaved. It doesn't mitigate crimes against them.
I wouldn't even raise this or if I did I would do it very gently. It is the type of thing that could well irritate the Judge.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JoThat is absolutely terrible the company had 500 plus employees who were told they were self employed but in actaul fact they were not. No one had NI number so nobody could do a self assessment. So no one paid taxes or NI
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes, and you can make a separate report about that.
It isn't mitigation for stealing from them though.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you