29905560

If a piece of music was published in the USA in 1911, and the

If a piece of music was published in the USA in 1911, and the American composer died in 1969, is that music in the public domain in the UK? It is definitely in the public domain in the USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apologies, died in 1989
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The copyright in the UK will depend on whether this song was released in the UK within 30 days of its release in the US. The laws on international copyright are that if the creator is not British (by nationality or domicile), and the work was first published outside the United Kingdom (and not published in the UK within 30 days thereafter), the period of copyright protection provided by UK law is limited to that provided by the laws of the "country of origin" of the work. In this case you are looking at the copyright laws that would apply based on US law and they will apply in the UK too. Therefore, if the work is still under copyright in the US, it would also be under copyright over here and such copyright will expire when the US copyright expires. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ben, that's great.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome all the best