12826847

My daughter was sent a naked photo of a girl in a group. She

Customer Question

My daughter was sent a naked photo of a girl in a group. She them forwarded it to another boy. Unknown to her the girl was underage at the time of the photo. The photo can
Me from the girls FB page. She has had her iPad removed and is going to the police station Thursday,
What will be the charge against her
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how old is your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
17 years old
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old is the girl?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is over 18 now but was not at the time the picture was taken
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old was she then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not say on the picture but she was believed to 16 at the time but the police did not specify. She was by herself in the picture and had it on her Facebook page. One of the boys on our daughters chat group put the photograph onto it and then it was shared with other members of the group.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If she is 16 then she would be underage for the purposes of this legislation.
Unfortunately that would mean your daughter distributed an indecent image of a child.
There is a defence in saying that she believed her to be an adult.
Since your daughter is only 17 and also she is female it is possible that the police might caution her.
The advantage is that she is a youth so won't have to sign the sex offender's register although it is still an unattractive offence to have on her record for obvious reasons.
It might be that they could agree something like a malicious communication.
Do not refuse the solicitor that will be offered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/