13262538

I have a son who is 10 years old with a rare condition so

Hi I have a son who is 10 years old with a rare condition so he's open door policy in hospital which means if I need him seen I call the ward and he gets seen on Saturday he was really unsettled and made his left cheek sore it was very red and had a bit of swelling so I called in and spoke to a nurse explained the problem and she said he won't be seen because it's not part of his condition but his condition is so rare no one knows much about it but I feel he has open door for a reason so I'm not happy the way they dealt with that I want to know how I can adress this problem so it won't happen again
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.What is the name os the condition and have you spoken to the Consultant about what happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The condition is Bartsocas papas syndrome no I havnt yet spoken to the consultant but I have spoken to social services and his school nurse they all agree they should have seen him
it's a very rare condition in England is only 2 which both are my children he also has a sister with same condition who is younger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They advised I give him piriton and see how he is and get him checked out in the morning i said i was worried about him so she said take him to A&E or call out of hours GP so at night I was still worried so I called 111 the doctor spoke to me and arranged a GP to come an see him at home the GP came at 4.20 am and he said its skin infection prescribed antibiotics and antibiotic cream to put on his face
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I agree that it was totally unacceptable for the nurse to make any kind of diagnosis let alone one over the phoneI woudl suggest that you make a formal complaint to the Consultant and ask for reassurance that in future the policy designed to protect your childrenwill not be sabotaged by a Nurse who has no knowledge of this rare conditionPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will be doing a formal complaint but was wondering if I could do something more to make them aware that I won't stand for this as they are always messing him about I'm tired of always chasing them
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not - BUT I would suggest that you take the matter as high as the Medical DirectorIt is not acceptable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your assistance
I will take the matter to the highest level
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Please do - it is not good enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.