12826847

I am a wedding stationer (very small business) and a lady ordered

Customer Question

I am a wedding stationer (very small business) and a lady ordered day invitations from me in October 2015. She mentioned she may get evening invitations from me also but I only ever quoted and invoiced for 71 day invitations. She paid this invoice and I carried out the work based on the invoice she paid.
She emailed me only last week after dispatching her day invitations to ask if the evening invitations could be with her ASAP. I explained that I'm booked right into March and have no room to do Evening Invitations now and that she should have asked to order earlier. I then get an email which I can only describe as blackmail stating
"If you are unable to do these night time invites I want a refund or I will be publicly showcasing exactly what you have done to me."
I explained that I had delivered what I was contracted to do but she seems to think I am in the wrong. She has now slandered me all over Facebook calling me a scammer on the wedding pages and she has now got her friends to keep posting on my business pages telling everyone not to buy from me as I am a scammer and some other nasty stuff.
I have sent her an email explaining that a scammer in definition is someone who does not deliver what has been paid for but I have delivered everything I have been contracted to do.
I have all screenshots, emails and messages as well as the original invoices and even messages to say that she loved the invitations.
I need help and urgently!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How I can stop her? What other steps can I take? I'm worried sick about this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What has she said that is untrue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..... The first issue is her blackmail. She stated in her email that if I would not do her evening invitations then she would publicly slate me on Social Media. That's the first issue. This was stated in an email "If you are unable to do these night time invites I want a refund or I will be publicly showcasing exactly what you have done to me." This is based on the fact that she felt I should be doing her evening invitations even though she only paid for day time invitations. Her expectations were unreasonable expecting them dome immediately.As I said no to her off the back of the email she has gone ahead and slandered me on Social Media. Firstly calling me a scammer and other vile things which is not true. I deleted most of them but this is what is left. Every few minutes a new post is being added from her friends.Can I send a recorded letter asking her to stop as her statements are untrue?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
So the only falsehood is the scammer comment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blackmail, the harassment, the insults.....
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I would forget about all of that. This isn't blackmail anyway within the criminal law. It is just an unpleasant demand.It isn't really harassment either. It is just a simple dispute.However, calling you a scammer is a defamatory comment and it is one worth acting over as that doesn't just hurt feelings. That damages further trade which is an issue. The law of defamation has been tightened up to reduce the number of nonsense claims but alleging a person in business is a scammer is clearly going to offend.It is very expensive to sue though. I would not do that lightly.what you might find very effective is to get a solicitor or a barrister under public access to write to her warning her of the laws of defamation. That is under £100 and it often does achieve the end you desire. These letters are very effective to silence the armchair warriors.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? Nothing I can do? Can I get a letter template that I can send her myself?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you could sue her in defamation. That will cost in excess of £10k unless she rolls over immediately.
You could write to her yourself. It won't have the same impact though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So she can basically get away with ruining my business and because I don't have funds to protect myself I just have to ignore it? That's not right!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, you could do what I suggested.
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have £100 to pay.... I'm only just clearing my bills every month. This is breaking me and my business!!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You might be able to find a barriser under public access who would do it for £50 plus VAT.
It is going to cost something I'm afraid though.