Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Can I make internal changes to a leasehold flat i.e. remove

Can I make internal changes to a leasehold flat i.e. remove a non-bearing wall between two rooms?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you have a copy of the lease available? it should contain a section on alterations and that will have some wording on whether you need the landlord's consent? I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ, I have checked the lease and it does state that I cannot make any changes to the layout without prior permission.
Many thanks ... Marianne
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. You would have to apply to the landlord for consent to alter the internal layout, including moving walls. This normally involves apply for a licence to alter the premises and you may have to pay the landlords legal fees. Do you know who the landlord/freeholder is? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do have the leaseholder information: Freeholder Managers PlcI would like to add that there are flats on this development that were originally constructed with the larger kitchen that I would like to have - would this be an argument for me to include in my application?Many thanks ... Marianne
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Does the lease say that the freeholders consent must not be "unreasonably with held"? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, no, there is no mention that the consent must not be unreasonably with held. As the leasehold was issued on 8th March 1965 have there been any changes in the law that might be taken into consideration? Many thanks ... Marianne
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. If it just says you require the landlord consent, then they can with hold on any grounds. However if they have allowed amendments to the lay out of other flats or you are just changing the layout to mirror another flat it seems unlikely that they would have any reason to with hold consent. Have you asked for consent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not yet - I wanted to get legal advice first! I have started to draft a letter, which I have attached, and would appreciate it if you could read through and perhaps make some suggestions? Many thanks ... Marianne
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. If this is a professional landlord, they will have a process for dealing with this, instead of proposing the changes in a letter from the off, I would contact them and ask what their process is for approving internal alterations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the tip AJ, I have contacted them and they will be sending me a form to complete describing what I intend to do. They will then send a surveyor to look at the proposed changes and depending on the findings they will either approve or deny my application!
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Make sure you do not sign anything that commits to paying their fees unless you know exactly what those fees will be. Any feedback will be gratefully received. Kind regards AJ