12826847

I have been conivcted of a offence in 2013 and my partner

Customer Question

i have been conivcted of a sexual offence in 2013 and my partner has been fully informed and stood by me through out the whole thing, we have a daughter and have been engaged correctly with social services and probation/police etc. all are happy with my situation and the risk is low. My partner and i have recently seperated althughh currently livig in the samehouse, social services rang and asked if the situation has changed and my partner said that i was still not a risk to my child etc as nothing had altered in that regard.
However she has taken to disclose my previous criminal offences to her friends and family. she has told at least 4 people that i know of this week. is this a breach of my human rights? or data protection law etc.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who? Your partner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes my Ex partner
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
She is not bound by confidentiality I'm afraid.
She is free to tell anybody she chooses.
That is one of the criticisms of this practice. It is a child protection issue and so they have to disclose but the practical reality is that they broadcast these things to the entire housing estate population. Nevertheless, this has been considered and the decisions have been that social services have a duty to put child protection first.
What your former partner does with the information cannot be controlled though I'm afraid. She is not bound by the DPA and the HRA doesn't regulate the relationships between individuals.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/