29905560

I got called in meeting today

Hello, my name is Luke.
I got called in for a meeting today and was told there was a serious alpha took made against me and while there investigate internally I am unable to do partiular parts of my job. My question is "1. Can/Do I have a right to know the full accusation and know who my accuser is?" Also without knowing that how can I know what they may be saying to my other work colleagues as this could affect the rest of my work life there?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and also please clarify your query as you mentioned a 'serious alpha took' made against you - not sure if that was a typo? Please note that due to the time I am going offline shortly so will pick this up again in the morning, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For Ben Jones,Hi it's Luke again... Yes it was a typo I meant to say there was a rather serious complaint/allegation made about me.I mainly want to know if I have any right or obligation to know the exact nature of the complaint or does it have to be a vague, secondly do m I have a right to know my accuser as that could go with my defence if they are someone with a problem against me in general!Thank you :)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi Luke, thanks for your patience. To answer your questions: 1. At this early stage the employer will not have t disclose full details of the allegations. You are only being investigated at present, you have not been taken through a formal disciplinary. So they can give you basic details but when it comes to the full allegations they are only required to provide more detail if they are going to ask you to attend a formal disciplinary because of this. Then you can expect to be given sufficient detail to be able to defend yourself but at present that is not required of them.2. You cannot say with certainty that this person will not be talking to others about it. However, if they have and the things they have said are untrue then eventually you may find out about it through others. In that case you have the right to make your own complaint against them. Unfortunately here is not much you can do about this at present – even if you knew who this person was they could still be saying things to others so that will not prevent it necessarily. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben,Thank you for your reply it is very helpful and informative...On a side note As a quick question if the allegation that has brought on my investigation proves to be false is that grounds for a liable or slander case?Luke
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi Luke, whilst it may indeed amount to defamation, pursuing such a claim is very complex and expensive. You have to go to the High Court, your fees will be huge, together with legal costs you are easily looking at over £10k I would say. So realistically it is not a claim that many would or can make. Instead you can raise your own complaint through the employer – use the grievance procedure at work, that is what it is there for. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'