Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have done some electrical work builder, I had my

Hi, I have done some electrical work for a builder, I had my installation independently tested and signed off through the correct regulations by a different independent company, after sometime a fault occurred one one of the wiring circuits where the builder got agressive and blamed me, I said there is nothing wrong with the wiring it has been tested and signed off with the building regulators,the problem lies with your building not being weather tight, he is now trying to take me to court, where do I stand?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What is he trying to claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the response.
He is trying to claim for another person to have fixed the fault and then fix the damage done to the building (to replaster etc) I'm certain it wasn't a wiring fault and it only happened when it rained pointing to water getting in and me trying to explain it was down to me,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached an image of his last message last night,
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
What was the value of the work you did for him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Off the top of my head around £1300 including materials and labour that's a rough estimate as the work was over 12 months ago now
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and your position on this is that any fault was not due to your failure to fulfil the contract but due to other issues on site unconnected to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is my position correct, I stand in this position due to the fact an independent tradesman not linked to me in any way has inspected and tested the installation and signed the work off as correct with no faults
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
In that case you should say that you will vigorously defend the claim and believe it is due to the other issues. He will need to prove that you were in breach of contract in failing to perform the work under the contract properly. With the evidence you have it seems you will be able to defend any claim he makes. Obviously there is always some risk involved with litigation so you may want to consider an offer on an economical basis. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thankyou what evidence do you think I should gather for my defence thankyou
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
You need to have proof from the independent person who tested and signed the work off.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
If there is anything further please do let me know otherwise I would be grateful if you would rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thankyou that's great I will happily rate you now Thankyou for your help, all the best
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem all the best.