Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I set up my business 10 years ago. I informally met a person

Customer Question

Hi I set up my business 10 years ago. I informally met a person online who mocked a logo, the was no payment as they were experimenting with doing this kind of business. We parted company amicably. I cant find the emails to prove this. They now contacted the business 10 years later requesting payment. The now used logo is somewhat similar but not exact. I used a professional graffic designer to do logo and colours etc, and have invoices. This feels like a scam. After 10 years I can't prove our agreement as emails are deleted. Do I reply to their request to contact them about payment they are requesting?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I would suggest you either completely ignore it or contact him and say that at the time he did it for free so he as no right, contractually or otherwise to seek payment for this. In addition any claim he could make is statute barred as a claim in breach of contract for failure to pay is limited to 6 years after the breach. Trying to pursue this 10 years later would be barred under the statute of limitations. Is there anything else you would like to know about this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jennifer please can I check you got my answer? Is there anything more you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid by Just Answer for working on your question. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenny I think I responded back (hope I had) Yes, that response seems to be what I need thanks. If they insist after I have contacted them. Should I just stick to what you have suggested above?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello please bear with me while I prepare a response.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should. They do not appear to have a claim for the two reasons I have already stated above.