75100385

Not sure if I have a case but.... I was going to purchase a

Customer Question

Not sure if I have a case but.... I was going to purchase a buy to let property and had a Full structural survey done. The report highlighted a crack in the kitchen ceiling which had water coming through when the survey was done ( it was raining on the day ) The ceiling is solid 9 inch thick concrete and it's the top floor massionette. HSBC approved the mortgage with the surveyor putting £1000 retention to repair the cosmetic damage to the ceiling on the basic one page report.
Discussion with the surveyor and reading the full 42 page report, highlighted that unless access was available to the loft he could not comment further if there is any other damage or issues. There is NO access to the loft from any of the flats. I also asked his advice as to whether I should proceed with the sale, as I had no way of knowing whether there is any more potential problems and he directed me back to the report. Asking whether he would buy it he said he wouldn't. This conversation isn't in writing and I have no way of proving he did advise this.
I withdrew from the sale of the property after reading the full report and the conversation and am trying to get back my arrangement fee for the mortgage. The Financial Ombudsman had a look and they have said from the information HSBC received they have done nothing wrong. HSBC also commented that they do not take into account full sructural surveys it's only based on the basic information the surveyor sends on with his recommendations. The financial ombudsman did say the real issue is with the company who did the report and I should pursue this with the ombudsman who deal with surveyors....
Any advise would be greatly received.
Rgds
Steve Hollis
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.On what basis do you say HSBC have done something wrong please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
H Alex, If I'm out my mobile number is ***** 062888.
Rgds Steve
Can you give an estimate of when you will call?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I can call now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great...
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Calling now.Alex