12826847

We were approached by a poster company wanting to erect a site

Customer Question

We were approached by a poster company wanting to erect a site on what we thought was our land in front of our building nearly 10 years ago. Recently it came to light that the council did not sell as much of the frontage as we had thought at the time. In the meantime we have received approx £10.000 in rent from the operator of the site. We applied for planning permission to extend the building which is when this oversight came to light. It has been agreed that £7.200 be paid back to the council in back rent leaving a residue of £3.000 approx. We are currently in the process of buying this land and will paying the amount they have asked for as part of the overall deal. Can the site operator insist on receiving the balance he has paid us even though he had the benefit ? I am not aware whether the council know about this residue or not but assume the the back rent is for the last 6 years and has been agreed with the operator.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.The operator is the one wanting to put up the posters?