12826847

Last year, 2015, I took out Household Insurance with Swinton.

Customer Question

Last year, 2015, I took out Household Insurance with Swinton. Upon returning home from a May Bank holiday visit I found that a small portion of my kitchen ceiling had collapsed. I immediately telephoned Swinton and was advised to check what had caused the collapse, if possible. When I advised that I believed it to have been caused by a leaking water pipe I was advised to get the leak fixed, even though I had 'Gold' insurance cover. I had this leak repaired and was then told, by Swinton, that they would send a surveyor out to inspect the damaged ceiling and, in the meantime I was requested to obtain a quote for the repair. This I did and the waited a few months until the surveyor arrived. On inspection the surveyor stated that the repair cost would, in his opinion, not be greater than my insurance excess, £250.00. A few weeks later I was requested to obtain a further quote from a different contractor as my original quote for the repair totalled over £1000.00. This request was complied with resulting in the latest quote being in the region of £1500.00 which was sent to Swinton. Today I received a telephone call from Legal & General saying that their estimate, in the region of £300.00 was as high as they were prepared to go towards the repair of the damage. I have always believed in insuring my home and contents this being the first time that I have made a claim on this type of insurance but surely the outcome of this scenario cannot be either correct or fair also taking into account the time it has taken to reach this decision!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is their grounds for this estimate?