13262538

Can I be taken to court that my mother did -

Can I be taken to court for something that my mother did - which I didn't know anything about? Mum died and I sold the house that we jointly owned. Now the new owners are saying that she signed something giving away land - they want compensation from me.
I didn't know she did it - and as we were joint owners wouldn't she have supposed to ask me to sign too (to make it legal)
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDid you live in the house and what exactly is meant to have happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear long story - My mother bought a small bungalow back in 1977 - she lived there with her boyfriend and me (I was late teens). I moved out for a couple of years because I found a partner and had children.
Mum stayed at the house (a smallholding) and her boyfriend kept cattle there.
Later on I moved back and built an extension where I lived with my sons.
We lived there for nearly 40 years until mum died. (in 84 she did a deed of gift and made me a joint owner - because of my boys I think)
[Around 2010 a couple bought a derelict barn behind our house and started to do it up. They were seldom there, just dropped in to see the builders - mum was friendly with them, but I only ever said hello on passing. They seemed okay people]-
Mum became ill in 2012 and passed away. I sold the house, but now, three years later the new owners tell me mum signed part of the land over to her neibours. The people who renovated the barn (I knew nothing about this). But they don't believe me and are saying they're going to take me to court. (because they've had boundary disputes with the neibours because of mum signing (apparently) some document or other giving away a slice of land.
I hope you can understand me. If this document does exist surly it would have needed my signature too to be valid? and as I never saw it let alone signed it - well does that put me in the clear?
I typed a letter in case I need to send it to anyone - I've attached it - maybe it'd be easier to understand than this garbled explanation. Thank you SO much for helping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess in a nutshell I'm asking - can they sue me for something my mother did that I didn't know about? (they don't believe that I didn't know) and will the fact that I never signed the flippin document be some sort of proof that I didn't endorse it - or approve it?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
has any actual evidence of anything been produced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes apparently (I haven't seen it) the Halls (the people I sold the house to) have been given a copy by the neighbours. I don't know what sort of document it is - because I've never seen it.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiAt this stage you simply write and say that if they send you the document then you will look at it - but until they do so you cannot comment as you know nothing about it.You certainly cannot be held responsible for something you did not know about - and if it was signed during the period of your joint ownership it is very posisble not valid in any event.However rather than saying all that you keep it simple and say "show me"I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I'll do that. I hope that if it goes any further I can contact you for more advice.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
YOU are very welcome to do so!