12826847

Does the requirement of someone on the sex offender register

Customer Question

Does the requirement of someone on the sex offender register to notify debit and credit cards include cashcards? There is no sort code on the card and it is linked to a bank account already registered with the police at initial notification less than 12 months ago. The only thing you can do with the cashcard is withdraw money from a cashpoint.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You will find the Statutory Instrument here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2012/9780111521410 and the relevant part at S12. It is right to say that a cash card is not specifically named and non of the other sections appear to cover it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I do think it might be possible to argue that this falls under S13[e] though as the obtaining of a cash card could be said to be an amendment to the bank account per se.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest disclosing. If it is too late for that now then you will have to argue that it is not covered.Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm required to notify within 3 days. I received the card yesterday, the police station is closed tomorrow. Where does that leave me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Just do it on Monday. That will be absolutely fine. You can only do what is reasonable. The law doesn't expect you to be able to walk on water. Police stations should be open 24 hours anyway and if they didn't spend all their resolves on rows which we euphemistically call 'domestic abuse' they would probably have the money to remain so.