12826847

Is it illegal to post a video of someone committing a crime

Is it illegal to post a video of someone committing a crime online?
I'm guessing with all the laws these days, despite the person committing the crime doing something illegal, human rights and privacy play a major part and could be considered harassment of some kind?
What if the face's were blurred?
The said person has been been sent to court on a GBH case but I'd prefer to show the community the danger this person is capable of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would assume the voice/sound would have to be muted also as to not give the identity of the person away 100%
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How did you come by this footage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was recorded in property with general CCTV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The attack happened when he was inside my property.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Why is that on cctv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run a business from home so have extremely valuable equipment in the property. (Thousands of pounds worth of computers)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In principle, that would not offend then.It is your CCTV and you can do with it as you wish. The only issue here is whether it offends against the DPA as you do not seem to be keeping CCTV for private purposes but to protect business assets.I do not think this would get over the hurdle of harassment though and there is certainly not an HRA issue.It would probably be better to hand the footage to the police though. It might assist them to do something useful instead of investigate false complaints against dead people.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo