12826847

In December 2015 I paid a deposit substantial piece

Customer Question

In December 2015 I paid a deposit for a substantial piece of professional beauty equipment and training. The training and delivery took place on 25th January 2016 as agreed, and I paid a second instalment towards the total cost.
The final instalment is due at the end of February 2016.
However, I have since decided that I no longer wish to purchase the equipment.
Where do I stand, legally on asking to cancel the agreement and return the equipment?
My intention is to pay for the 2 person training I have had, but return the equipment and be refunded the difference.
I would appreciate any advice, as soon as possible.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, do you need any more information than I put in my initial question?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you agree cancellation rights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It wasn't discussed by either party.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does the paper contract allow for cancellation rights? This is a contract for hire purchase effectively?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a basic two page agreement with no mention of cancellation rights. I don't have it at home, but I can pick it up tomorrow and double check. There was no tiny 'fine print' as such.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If that is right then you are locked in.It might be useful to find out what type of contract this is as some do have implied rights of cancellation.However, in principle, unless you agreed cancellation rights then none wil exist.You can always offer to return the product but unless they are agreeable that cannot be forced.It depends really. If you just refuse to pay then one would imagine they will be delighted to remove the product as they won't want you to access it.If you can get to the bottom of the contract then we might be able to unearth more though.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it alright if I contact you tomorrow to confirm the type of contract, before I contact the supplier to discuss returning the equipment and cancelling the sale?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Jo.
Speak to you tomorrow.
Enjoy the rest of your day!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
And you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo, I've checked the paper I signed. There's no cancellation rights in it. I spoke to the rep who said she didn't know what the policy was for cancelling.
I'm going to keep chasing until they give me an answer.
Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is it a hire purchase contract?
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just two sheets of A4 that state the details of what I purchased and the three payments I am making. There's nothing else on it but the two signatures.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Then that isn't hire purchase.There won't be a cancellation clause but they may allow you to cancel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already asked the rep.
My next step is to write to the head office and see what I can get from them.
I guess I have learned a valuable lesson!
Thanks Jo ūüėä
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
I've discovered that I can't get professional insurance because their training isn't accredited and insurers won't accept it.
What would you advise I do?
I have also attached photos of the paperwork.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did they say it was accredited?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said I would be able to get insurance, which I can't.
Thankfully, we have been able to come to an agreement over the situation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You could seize upon that. That is an incorrect assertion which is objectionable.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Glad you sorted it out.