Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am divorced. I visited the formal marital home Sat morning

I am divorced. I visited the formal marital home Sat morning to speak with my ex husband as our daughter had unfortunately had a car accident earlier in the week, My ex husband, her Father, opened the door to me which is a small glass porch, I stepped in he accussed me of trespass and proceeded to shout expletives at me and pushed and shoved me with an intent I believe to stop me from entering his home. Where do I stand legally with this assault. Eventually he calmed and I did enter the home and sit in the lounge where he continued to verbally insult me. My sole purpose of the visit was to update him regarding the accident as he had been away on holiday when it happened.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Was there a financial settlement as part of the divorce, and is the former matrimonial home in his sole name or joint names? Aside from the divorce him pushing you is a criminal offence and the police can arrest him for assault - it is illegal and unnessary for him to do that to you. If you think that his intimidation and abuse will continue, you can apply to your local family court for a non-molestation order to prevent this - a breach of a non-molestation order is also a criminal offence, although you will need to consider whether this is necessary.