12826847

I recently parked my car in an private office car park whilst

Customer Question

i recently parked my car in an private office car park whilst i was visiting one of the
offices. When i came out i was horrified to find a £65.00 parking ticket on my vehicle
As it was private property do i have to pay it
The company that issued the ticket was Private Parking Solutions (london) ltd
contact details
MR Anthony Alkin
01787 461231
07860 384852
Many Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello were there signs about parking restrictions there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES BUT AS I WAS VISITING AN OFFICE IN THE OFFICE BLOCK I DID NOT PAY ATTENTION TO ANY SIGNS
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you are liable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes do i have to pay the parking ticket
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did the signs prohibit parking even for visitors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apparently there was no provision for visitors
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, then you are liable. The question is whether you are prepared to risk being sued. Private land companies have always had a perfectly legitimate claim in more to have their fines paid. There is a good deal of nonsense on this topic on the Internet. Private land companies have a contractual dispute with drivers who park at variance with their terms. What they do have though is a claim that is not particularly cost-effective to enforce. That is why it is difficult for them. If you accept parking at a location where there were signs prohibiting you from doing so then you are liable. Whether they will sue for what is ultimately just £65 is another matter. It is not cost-effective for them. They never used to. The only reason that they may now is that they are generally becoming more aggressive because they have realised that they have lost control of the private land industry because so many people have formed the view that their fines are unenforceable. There is still a very low risk that they will sue but they could and you cannot hide from that. What they will do is send you a very nasty letters from debt collectors threatening fire and brimstone. Some people cannot cope with that psychologically and cave in. You need to decide upon your appetite for risk. If you are happy to deal with those letters then just ignore them. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo