12826847

My father and step mother have signed over the house to my

Customer Question

My father and step mother have signed over the house to my step sisters in 2003 since then my father has died and my step mother still lives in the property. On the event of her death would myself and my 2 sisters have any claim on the property if it was sold
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Thank you for your message. I will do my best to help. When you refer to 'My father and step mother have signed over the house to my step sisters' (and you i'm guessing), do you mean that they have legally transferred the property to you and your sisters? If so, do you appear on the title deeds? Ask your mother whether they formally done the transfer with Solicitors. You can obtain a copy of the title deeds from the land registry for £3 (request for official copy of the register) to have a look. You need to see whether there are any restrictions with what you can all do with the property whilst your mother is alive and living in the property. In short, if you appear on the title deeds then you are all owners and can decide whatever you wish with the property (subject to any charges on the property). If you do not appear on the title deeds and you wish to claim a share of the property, there are a number of legal grounds you need to meet to justify your claim. I hope that helps. Kind regards Krystel