Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son has a 14 year old son!

Customer Question

My son has a 14 year old son! He has always paid maintenance as calculated by CSA! When the CMS took over they have said my son owes £7484 in arrears! He disputes this amount! He sent bank statements to the CMS who have now said they have lost them! He has written letters asking for a break down of the arrears but had no replies! He has received a telephone call today to say they cannot prove these arrears but if he admits liability they will come to an agreement for a payment plan!! They said if he doesn't admit to the arrears then they will find proof of them! He will not admit to them as he disputes there are any arrears! If they can prove it if he doesn't admit liability why can't they prove it now! He would like advice on what he should do now!! The mother has done this in the past and I took out a loan on my mortgage to pay off what she said he owed and we had no proof of that either!! I cannot do this again! Thanks for your advice!! Arlette *******
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Your son needs to continue to request a breakdown and statement of all the arrears that they are claiming, and if he is adamant that he has been paying his liability then he should not agree to any offers they put forward until he has seen the breakdown and compared it to the payments that he has made. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. My son asked them again on the phone today for a breakdown but it would appear they cannot do this so want him to just accept the arrears!!! We are now waiting to hear from them again! Can I contact you again now I have accepted the offer whenever we hear again!! Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is fine. In the meantime it may be helpful for your son to prepare a breakdown of all the payments he has made together with the appropriate evidence (eg. bank statements).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He paid the bank for past bank statements and highlighted all the payments and sent to CMS! However since he did this he has changed banks and doesn't know how he can access his statements!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
He can still contact the relevant bank with his account details and they should be able to obtain historic statements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will advise him to do that!