12826847

Madam I have received a conditional offer by

Dear Sir / Madam
I have received a conditional offer by way of driver training course or fixed penalty.
This is for triggering of a red light camera. I crossed the junction line by half a car length and reversed back i didnt actually run the light and go over the junction. I waited for the lights to change and then proceeded.
Is this worth contesting and pleading not guilty. Seems a bit harsh.
Although they have offered me the driving course option with out penalty points i dont particulary want to use this 'get out of jail card' on a sloppy offence when i am sitting on 12 points! I recently attended court and on the grounds of exceptional hardship was not banned to which i was grateful to the court for.
Many thansk for any advice you can provide
Martin
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Hello what questions do you have about this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My question is;I have three optionsAttend a course
Accept the conditional offer or Request a hearingIs this worth contesting and pleading not guilty at a hearing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would need to be certain i could win before taking the third option and going to court
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As i said above ….Although they have offered me the driving course option with out penalty points i don't particulary want to use this 'get out of jail card' on a sloppy offence when I am sitting on 12 points! I may need to use this in the future My undersatnding is you can only be offered the driving course once in 3 years
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Did you pass either the white light or the light bollard?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure what you mean by that? Is that something on the side of the road? From memory about half a car to a car length I do recall it triggering the camera. But definitly reversed back into position behind the white line
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have just had a look on googlemaps I cant see i would have passed the white light bollard
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Ok. That is all I need to know. You were over the white line which is all they need to show. If you have more than 3 points though then I have fairly bad news for you. Although they may have offered the red light course now they will revoke it. These diversions are designed for people with no points or a very small number. It is possible that they could make an error and if they do that is wonderful but I wouldn’t rely on it. If you have only just avoided a ban then this will knock you over the totting limit and you can only make an exceptional hardship application on dissimilar grounds. I would say that I’m not sure what pleading not guilty would achieve. On anybody’s account you are guilty. I realise you didn’t actually go across the street but you passed the cut off point. The offence is not causing danger although obviously S36 seeks to prevent danger. The offence is in failing to comply with a signal which is made out here. However, since this will lead to a ban for you it would seem that your only option is to put them to proof. You should be aware that doing so will rack up costs if you lose though although I imagine that keeping your licence is the issue for you. I’m very sorry but I can only give you truthful information. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks for clarifying the situation
I will take the course keep my head down and hope nobody queries it.Martin