75100385

I am the Director of my company that operates a public house

I am the Director of my company that operates a public house and I am the licence holder. I have received a letter from a solicitor claiming that one of my staff refused to serve a group of men because they were travellers(gypsy). They are claiming under the equality act 2010 saying they were caused serious and public injury to feelings and embarrisment . I have public liability insurance but my insurance company will not accept this incident is covered as part of that and this is a civil case.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.For now please let me know whether your insurance does cover civil disputes? Can you confirm whether the allegations are correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi The policy does not mention civil or otherwise. Most claims under public liability would go to the civil courts unless they are criminal. The bar member concered has said she did not say that

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you should ask your insurance company on what basis they are saying civil claims are not covered. You may need to check the policy wording. If they still reject it then you may need to make a formal complaint which will be investigated.Once that process has happened and if its not in your favour, then and only then can you go to the Ombudsman. THey offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.ukCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex