Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

This is a question about our wills. I am married with 2

This is a question about our wills.
I am married with 2 children. We made our wills with the firm of solicitors that had handled 3 property transactions for us (Paid over 500 pounds for the wills). The wills cover our Inheritence tax issues (I am older than my wife so I want to ensure that my wife and kids are OK with IHT issues). Trust set up for the kids. Solicitors as executors.
I have had several queries on IHT but the solicitors say they will not answer any e mails and will only handle the questions if I see them at 189 pounds per hour. After 3 property transactions and the cost of the wills I find there attitude unhelpful; especially as I am an ex***** *****ving in the middle East.
Our last move saw us purchase a new home in a different area of the country totally.
We would prefer to use a new solicitor to handle our wills. The move to a new town makes this sensible. Our questions are:
1) Will our new solicitors adopt our existing wills with them as executors with minimal cost?
2) Considering the unhelpful attitude of our current solicitors will they transfer the existing wills free of charge to our new solicitors?
Your General guidance and opinions to our situation would be helpful. I am well aware Solicitors charge for advice; this is not the problem - their attitude is dreadful.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, this is plain unprofessional conduct by the solicitors who made your wills. I would advise you to make fresh wills, even if it is only reproducing your existing will with the new solicitors as executors. As these solicitors have behaved so badly, when you are still alive, I fear to think how they will behave if you die and someone else has to deal with them as executors of your estate. Then there will be real problems. Accordingly, I would suggest you get new solicitors who are close to where you live, get the solicitors file with this original firm transferred over and the execute a codicil to the wills whereby you change the names of the executors to the will to someone whom you can trust to do the correct thing when your wills are admitted to probate. There should be minimal cost in doing so as there is very little work involved.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.