29905560

Can you please confirm that where a property is held jointly

Can you please confirm that where a property is held jointly that to sell the property the signatures of both parties is required
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is the property held as a joint tenancy or tenancy in common?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joint Tenancy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
joint tenancy
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
As a joint tenancy the signature of the owners will be required to effect the sale of the property. If one of the owners refuses to provide a signature to sell the property, the whole sale could fall through or prevent the other owner(s) from selling. Your property is owned as a joint tenancy which means that all parties together own the whole of the property as one legal person and are each entitled to an equal, undivided right in the property and its proceeds of sale. If the property is to be sold, the transfer will have to be signed by all owners in order to be valid. It means that the property can only be sold by consent of all the joint tenants. If one of the joint owners is unwilling to provide their consent the other owner could try to “sever” the joint tenancy and convert it to a tenancy in common. This could eventually allow them to force the uncooperative co-owner to sell the property as that is possible under a tenancy in common. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.