75100385

My son has debts with HMRC. we have just paid more that £1100

Customer Question

my son has debts with HMRC. we have just paid more that £1100 to HMRC as they threatened to send bailiffs round. He does not always live with us but uses this address as a contact address. How can we protect ourselves against his debts.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know how much he owes please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is a contract worker in the oilfield industry and is a limited company. He thinks his debts are around £15000. I think that these are his only outstanding debts. I want to know what we can do about future debt collectors sending bailiffs in to our house. Thankyou
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what do you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want us to be held responsible for his debts. His last letter said that bailiffs would come to our house as this is the address on his account but really it's just a contact address. Can the bailiffs take our possessions?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you will NEVER be liable for someone else's debts. I assume the debts are in your son's personal name and as such you dont have to pay it. Just because you have paid previous ones does not create liability.Even if bailiffs come round, you dont have to let them in - they can't force entry or break down a door.So just dont pay any more, its not your debt. You are not liable and they can't take any assets of yours or break in.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Alex but what about the fact that he is using this address, does that give them any rights. I ask this because my sister is in the same position and the bailiffs said that unless she had receipts for her things including furniture they could take them?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
That does not change the position.Does that help?Alex