Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been served with a repossession order on my home and

I have been served with a repossession order on my home and we are due to be evicted on 28th. February. I have been onto the council and they are unable to home us and I am unable to rent privately because I have a poor credit history and cannot find a guarantor. Also I have an 11 year old daughter.
I am due to receive funds to pay off all of the arrears on 29th.February. On the 1st. March I will owe them £12700 which I shall have but they refuse to wait one further day. They are harassing me coming round to measure up my home and sending threatening letters every day.
Is there anyway I can have this repossession order delayed so that I have the money to pay them?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. The possession order will state the date that you are to give possession of property to the landlord. If you do not give them possession then it is for the landlord to proceed to court to obtain a warrant to evict you. If they do this they will likely add the court fee for the warrant to the arrears - which will likely be a few hundred pounds. Given that you have an 11 year old daughter you should present to your local authority's housing department and present as homeless. As you have a child in your care you will be in priority need, although they are likely to find you intentionally homeless if the possession order was due to rent arrears. In the circumstances Local Authority's usually assist you in providing a list of landlords who can assist less well off tenants, and sometimes provide you assistance with deposits and first month rent. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Harris:Sorry but you were confused. I am not in arrears to a Landlord but to a Building Society. The repossession is fixed for next Friday February 26th.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. However, if you have not left by the repossession date then the building society will need to request for a bailiff to attend to remove you. The local authority's duty to accept a homelessness application will remain as previously advised. It is always best to go to the housing office in person to present as homeless and they cannot refuse to accept such an application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is as maybe but we need to know if there is any way that we can have the repossession stopped bearing in mind that I am expecting a lump sum payment on 29th. February which will more than cover the arrears.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
You can make an urgent application to the county court that made the possession order under Form N244 to suspend the possession order. You need to specify how you can settle the arrears together with evidence in order to convince the court to agree to suspend the possession order. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you